Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Caminando Barcelona

After a good nights sleep and a leisurely coffee and croissant, we headed down to La Rambla for a stroll.  The city is very lively and easy to get around and we quickly learned the lay of the land.  

The St. Josep La Boqueria was the highlight for me.  A feast for the senses to be sure. 
The variety of meats, cheeses, fish, fruits, was overwhelming. I am in heaven and I don't know which way to go first.  I am a grown-up little kid and I feel like its Christmas morning. I wanted to buy everything I see.  Suddenly the episode of I Love Lucy comes to me as I contemplate buying a whole cheese or cured Serrano ham hanging as I pass by.  

We enjoyed lunch from one of the vendors at the market, Organic Market, where for 10euros, you get a combination of different foods. Take your pick.

After lunch we continued down La Rambla to the waterfront and walked, and walked, and walked.  We found the tram to cross the water and walked up the hill to Castell de Montjuic and walked more.  

As we headed back, we decided to get a 3-day metro pass and also quickly became comfortable with the transportation in the city.   This got us back to "our neighborhood" and we decided to head to the sauna at the hotel and relax.  It sure helped after all that walking.  ( I think we must have walked a good 10 miles).

After the sauna, we walked to to see Gaudi's Casa Batllo, and stayed in the area for a delicious dinner at Tenorio Braseria.  
Casa Batllo


Lentil Salad with Cod and Beef Carpaccio with Rocket and Parmesan 
Paella

The night is young, so we headed to check out the local fauna at Bacon Bear Bar before turning in.  We didn't last long before wanting to turn in.

Tomorrow, Segrada Familia and Parc Guell.

1 comment:

  1. I can imagine that you two foodies must have been in paradise when you saw that market. The sights and the smells. Something one rarely experiences in the U.S. unless one lives in places like Seattle. Did Colin ever figure out the transit map? Looks like the subway map of Munich. Or London? Paris? Oh, those damn Europeans and their perfectly functioning public transportation systems. ;)

    ReplyDelete